Drug information of Tirofiban
Tirofiban prevents the blood from clotting during episodes of chest pain or a heart attack, or while the patient is undergoing a procedure to treat a blocked coronary artery. It is a non-peptide reversible antagonist of the platelet glycoprotein (GP) IIb/IIIa receptor, and inhibits platelet aggregation.
Mechanism of effect
Tirofiban is a reversible antagonist of fibrinogen binding to the GP IIb/IIIa receptor, the major platelet surface receptor involved in platelet aggregation. Platelet aggregation inhibition is reversible following cessation of the infusion of tirofiban.
When given according to the recommended regimen, >90% inhibition is attained by the end of the 30-minute infusion. Tirofiban has been recently shown in patients with unstable angina to reduce ischemic events at 48 hours following infusion when compared to standard heparin therapy.
- Half-life: 2 hr
- Duration: 4 hr
- Protein bound: 65%
- Vd: 22-42 L
- Clearance: 213-314 mL/min
- Excretion: Urine (65%); feces (25%)
- Dialyzable: Yes
Non-ST Elevated Acute Coronary Syndrome
Loading dose: 25 mcg/kg IV infused within 5 min, THEN
Post loading dose infusion: 0.15 mcg/kg/min IV for up to 18 hr
Safety and efficacy not established
InteractionsEnoxaparin , Piracetam , Deferasirox , Citalopram , Melatonin , Heparin , Warfarin , Rivaroxaban , Aspirin , Dabigatran , Bivalirudin , Argatroban , Lepirudin , Protamine sulfat , Apixaban , Phenindione , Desirudin , Dalteparin , Tositumomab , Ibritumomab tiuxetan , icosapent , Urokinase , Ticagrelor , Green tea , Tinzaparin , Acalabrutinib , Porfimer , Antithrombin alfa , Betrixaban , Edoxaban
Platelets <150,000/cu.mm, hemorrhagic retinopathy, chronic HD
Points of recommendation
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- If you fall or hurt yourself, or if you hit your head, call your doctor right away. Talk with your doctor even if you feel fine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using tirofiban while you are pregnant.