Drug information of Podofilox
A lignan (lignans) found in podophyllin resin from the roots of podophyllum plants. It is a potent spindle poison, toxic if taken internally, and has been used as a cathartic. It is very irritating to skin and mucous membranes, has keratolytic actions, has been used to treat warts and keratoses, and may have antineoplastic properties, as do some of its congeners and derivatives.
Mechanism of effect
The exact mechanism of action is not well understood. It does appear, however, that it and its derivatives may bind and inhibit topoisomerase II during the late S and early G2 stage. The drug may bind and stabilize the temporary break caused by the enzyme. This disrupts the reparation of the break through which the double-stranded DNA passes, and consequently stops DNA unwinding and replication
Podofilox, also called podophyllotoxin, is a purer and more stable form of podophyllin in which only the biologically active portion of the compound is present. Podofilox is used to remove certain types of warts on the outside skin of the genital areas.
Topical application of 0.05 mL of 0.5% podofilox solution to external genitalia did not result in detectable serum levels. Applications of 0.1 to 1.5 mL resulted in peak serum levels of 1 to 17 ng/mL one to two hours after application.
Half life: 1.0 to 4.5 hours
Apply with cotton-tipped applicator (solution) or finger (gel) q12hr for 3 days then no treatment for 4 days
May repeat in 1 week, cycle up to 4 times
Safety & efficacy not established
Drug contraindicationshypersensitivity to this drug
Side effectsPain , Insomnia , Headache , nausea , dizziness , vomiting , paresthesia , hemorrhage , itching , stinging , blood in the urine , redness
Keep product away from open flame
Avoid contact with eyes
Points of recommendation
- Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
- Using more of this medicine will not make it work better, and may increase side effects.
- This medicine is usually applied in the morning and evening for 3 days in a row, followed by 4 days of not using the medicine. This 7-day treatment cycle should be repeated up to 4 times, or until you can no longer see any signs of wart tissue.
- Wash your hands before applying podofilox Also wash the skin area to be treated, and allow it to dry completely before applying the medicine.
- Apply podofilox topical using the cotton applicator provided or with your finger. Apply the medicine only to the wart tissue and avoid getting it on healthy skin. If the genital wart is in a skin fold, spread the skin apart and apply the medicine. Allow the treated skin to dry before releasing the skin fold.
- Wash your hands again after applying podofilox topical.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after 4 treatment cycles.
- Podofilox topical is not a cure for genital warts and it may not keep you from spreading this condition to others through vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
- Podofilox topical gel is flammable. Do not use it near high heat or open flame, or while you are smoking.
- Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Ask a Pharmacist