Drug information of Rifampin
Rifampin Treating all forms of tuberculosis (TB). Rifampin is also used to treat patients who do not have meningitis but carry the meningitis bacteria in their nose and throat and may spread the bacteria to others.
Rifampin does not treat meningitis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Mechanism of effect
Rifampin is a rifamycin antibiotic . It works by killing or stopping the growth of sensitive bacteria.It is bactericidal and has a very broad spectrum of activity against most gram-positive and gram-negative organisms.
Rifampin is an antibiotic that inhibits DNA-dependent RNA polymerase activity in susceptible cells. Specifically, it interacts with bacterial RNA polymerase but does not inhibit the mammalian enzyme.
Rifampin is well absorbed when taken orally and is distributed widely in body tissues and fluids, including the CSF. It is metabolized in the liver and eliminated in bile and, to a much lesser extent, in urine, but dose adjustments are unnecessary with renal insufficiency.
Adults : 10 mg/kg, in a single daily administration, not to exceed 600 mg/day, oral or IV
Pediatric Patients : 10–20 mg/kg, not to exceed 600 mg/day, oral or IV
It is recommended that oral rifampin be administered once daily, either 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal with a full glass of water.
Adults : For adults, it is recommended that 600 mg rifampin be administered twice daily for two days.
Pediatric Patients : Pediatric patients 1 month of age or older: 10 mg/kg (not to exceed 600 mg per dose) every 12 hours for two days.
Pediatric patients under 1 month of age: 5 mg/kg every 12 hours for two days.
Drug contraindicationsallergic to this drug and any ingredients , (allergic to any ingredient in rifamycin(rifabutin , Drugs that interact with this medicine
Side effectsnausea , Headache , decreased appetite , dizziness , Diarrhea , asthenia , fever , myalgia , Tremor , itching , flatulence , difficulty urinating , skin rush , tiredness , yellowing of the skin , yellowing of the eyes , shortness of breath , swelling of the face , swelling of the tongue , tightness in the chest , stomach pain , vision chang
InteractionsAmlodipine/Atorvastatine , Ethinyl estradiol+ drospirenone , Ergotamine-C , Irinotecan , Buspirone , Prasugrel , Propafenone , Tacrolimus , Tinidazole , Daunorubicin , Dapsone , Deflazacort , Dexamethasone , Dydrogesterone , Disopyramide , Voriconazole , Ranolazine , Darunavir , Fludrocortisone , Glimepiride , Loratadin , Levonorgestrol , Methylergonovin , Midazolam , Haloperidol , Valproate sodium , Carbamazepine , probenecid , Atazanavir , Praziquantel , Linezolid , Caspofungin , Donepzil , Quinidine , Amobarbital , Dabigatran , Pitavastatin , Oxycodone , Ethinyl Estradiol , propoxyphene , Axitinib , Almotriptan , ritonavir , saquinavir , nelfinavir , eletriptan , Apixaban , Ivabradine , Prednisolone , Afatinib , Eluxadoline , Indinavir , chlorpropamide , novafen , Ivacaftor , brigatinib , Abiraterone , Pirfenidone , Canagliflozin , Dutasteride , Copanlisib , Tipranavir , Telaprevir , Simeprevir , Pyrazinamide , lumacaftor and Ivacaftor , Ulipristal , Etravirine , Dabrafenib , Dolutegravir , Estropipate , Acalabrutinib , Cabazitaxel , Maraviroc , Darifenacin , Nintedanib , Nicardipine , Nisoldipine , cobicistat , Delavirdine , Sofosbuvir and velpatasvir , Fostamatinib , Apremilast , Pazopanib , Palbociclib , Tasimelteon , Dexlansoprazole , trabectedine , raltegravir , Cefamandole , Roflumilast , elagolix , tezacaftor/ivacaftor , Alpelisib , Edoxaban , Treprostinil , Darolutamide , Pitolisant , atovaquone/proguanil , Lopinavir and Ritonavir , ELBASVIR/GRAZOPREVIR , Larotrectinib , gilteritinib , glasdegib , Abemaciclib , Triphasic , Eliglustat , Elvitegravir , Suvorexant , rilpivirine , tolvaptan , bazedoxifene/conjugated estrogens , bedaquiline , Gefitinib , Dasatinib , Remdesivir , neratinib , Cannabidiol , ambrisentan , vemurafenib , Typhoid vaccine (live), oral , vorapaxar , rolapitant , Macitentan , vortioxetine , Bictegravir , Elexacaftor, Tezacaftor, and Ivacaftor , voxelotor , stiripentol , Brivaracetam , Artesunate , Avapritinib , Asunaprevir , Netupitant , Ombitasvir, Paritaprevir, and Ritonavir , Cefoperazone , Capmatinib , Bromazepam , Dienestrol
• Rifampin should be injected into a vein only, not into the muscle or under the skin.
• Do not use rifampin if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
• Do not stop using rifampin without checking with your doctor. Do not miss any doses. Rarely, kidney problems have occurred when patients started using rifampin again after therapy was interrupted.
Points of recommendation
• Rifampin may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use rifampin with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
• Be sure to use rifampin for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
• Rifampin may produce a reddish coloration of your urine, sweat, saliva, and tears. Rifampin may also permanently stain soft contact lenses.
• Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills, implants, patches) may not work as well while you are using rifampin. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
• Diabetes patients - Rifampin may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
• Lab tests, such as complete blood counts, platelet counts, and kidney and liver function tests, may be performed while you use rifampin. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.