Drug information of Attapulgite
Attapulgite is a magnesium aluminium phyllosilicate which occurs in a type of clay soil common to the Southeastern United States. When used in medicine, it physically binds to acids and toxic substances in the stomach and digestive tract. For that reason, it has often been used in antidiarrheal medications.
Mechanism of effect
Attapulgite adsorbs water, toxins and bacteria, contributing to firmer stools, reducing fluid loss from diarrhea.
Attapulgite is an adsorptive magnesium aluminium phyllosilicate which binds to toxins, bacteria and water.
Onset: 12-19.5 hr
Metabolism: Not absorbed from GI tract
1.2-1.5 g PO after each loose bowel movement; no more than 8.4 g/24 hours
3-6 years old: 300 mg PO after each loose bowel movement; no more than 2.1 g/24 hours
6-12 years old: 600-750 mg PO after each loose bowel movement; no more than 4.5 g/24 hours
>12 years old: 1.2-1.5 g PO after each loose bowel movement; no more than 8.4 g/24 hours
Drug contraindicationsblood in stool , hemorrhage , intestinal obstruction , Hypersensitivity , dysentery , bleeding ulcers
Side effectsnausea , flatulence
Avoid use in children <3 years
Do not use for >2 days
Take 2-3 hr before/after other drugs
Points of recommendation
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take attapulgite. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using attapulgite liquid and suspension while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Take with or without food.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Do not take for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than attapulgite liquid and suspension.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with attapulgite liquid and suspension. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure attapulgite liquid and suspension.
Ask a Pharmacist