Drug information of Mafenide
Mafenide is a sulfonamide-type medication used to treat severe burns . It acts by reducing the bacterial population present in the burn tissue and promotes healing of deep burns.
Mechanism of effect
Bacteriostatic, precise mechanism unclear-appears to interfere with bacterial folic acid synthesis; spectrum of activity includes both gram positive and negative organisms .
• Diffuses through devascularized areas; rapidly absorbed from burned surface
• Peak plasma time: 2-4 hr (11% cream); 2 hr (burn tissue- 11% cream); 2 hr (burn tissues-5% solution)
• Excretion: Urine
• Metabolism: Rapidly to p-carboxybenzenesulfonamide
• Apply to cleaned, debrided area qDay or q12hr at thickness ~1/16 inch
• Ensure burned area covered with cream at all times-reapply PRN
• Cover grafted area with 1 layer of gauze
• Wet 8-ply burn dressing with solution until leakage observed; apply, secure & wrap as necessary
• With irrigation tubing: keep gauze dressing wet, by irrigating with syringe or injecting solution into irrigation tubing q4hr or PRN
• Not using irrigation tubing: moisten gauze q6-8hr or PRN
• Wound dressings may be left undisturbed for up to 5 days
Drug contraindicationshypersensitivity to drug or its components.
Side effectsallergic reaction , Diarrhea , edema , Pain , Hypersensitivity , stinging , swelling of the face
• Use extreme caution in patients with sulfonamide allergy
• E. coli & Proteus spp. appear to be less sensitive
• Prolonged use may result in fungal or bacterial superinfection including C. difficile-associated diarrhea and pseudomembranous colitis
• Pregnancy/women of childbearing potential-not recommended in women of childbearing potential unless burned area >20% BSA or benefits justify possible risks to the fetus
• Be careful if you have G6PD deficiency. Anemia may happen.
Points of recommendation
• Do not take this medicine by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
• Use as you have been told, even if your signs get better.
• Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
• Clean affected part and take off dead skin.
• Wear special gloves while putting mafenide cream on.
• Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
• Always keep the burned part covered with cream.
• The treated part may be covered with a dressing.